Alfred G. Battle Jr. Resume
Alfred G. Battle Jr. - Sunrise, FL
Management Experience in Large Public Organizations
Proven senior-level public sector professional with diverse management roles in permitting, code enforcement, economic development, real estate development, and project management. Professional experiences include leading development of department operating budget and recruiting personnel with unique experiences managing complex projects in community redevelopment, economic development, permitting, and legacy system project management.
- Project Management
- Employee Recruitment
- Key Partnership Development
- Community Redevelopment
- Real Estate Development
- Economic Development
City of Fort Lauderdale Department of Sustainable Development - 2015 to present
Deputy Director/Acting Director - (2016)
Senior operation manager in department with over 200 employees including seven operating divisions - Code Enforcement, Building Services, Urban Design & Planning, Administration, Economic Development, Zoning/Landscaping, and Engineering activities. Key responsibilities included preparation and administration of $31MM department budget, human resource administration, department training, information technology integration/legacy system maintenance replacement, and management of department scorecard and performance metrics. This position also supervises the division managers for the Administration, Economic Development, and Zoning/Landscaping.
Manager, Economic and Community Reinvestment Division Department of Sustainable Development - 2012 to 2015
Division manager for twenty-two staff members tasked with all economic and community development activities, including CRA redevelopment programs, CDBG and HUD funded programs, Qualified Targeted Industry program and the administration of the financial budget and all other related activities pertaining to economic and redevelopment initiatives on behalf of the City of Fort Lauderdale. Selected accomplishments include ordinances adopting site-specific Brownfield Redevelopment incentives, utilization of CDBG funds to support multi-family affordable housing projects, and city-wide economic development plan based on performance metrics.
Director, Community Redevelopment Agency - 2005 to 2012
Executive manager for the Redevelopment Agency supervising nine employees, primarily responsible for development and execution of the operating and capital budget and all related activities pertaining to economic and redevelopment initiatives on behalf of the City of Fort Lauderdale Community Redevelopment Agency. Responsible for policies and procedures designed to promote economic and redevelopment activity and worked with appointed and elected officials to implement economic and redevelopment plans and programs. Routinely advised city manager and city commission on local economic, social and community conditions and trends and worked closely with the Community Redevelopment Agency Advisory Board members and other related community organizations. Selected projects/programs include;
- Sistrunk Boulevard Streetscape Improvement Project ($15M)
- NW Commercial Redevelopment Project ($9M)
- Construction of 54 single-family, infill housing units
- Construction of over 1,000 multi-family apartments/condominiums
- Adoption of the NW Regional Activity Center Zoning Overlay
- Adoption of NW Regional Activity Center Liquor & Convenient Store Zoning Restrictions
Jacksonville Economic Development Commission - 1995 to 2005
Managing Director, Downtown Development Authority - 2002 to 2005
Lead public-sector executive for day-to-day management and implementation of all agency supported downtown development activities and projects. Responsibilities and selected accomplishments included:
- Negotiated complex incentive packages on real estate and economic development projects including business
development, residential and retail projects.
- Utilized expertise in creative incentive financing deals with tax increment, Federal HUD programs and other State of
Florida sponsored incentive programs.
- Active involvement in employee training, delegating work projects, and evaluating subordinates.
- Lead staff member for the Downtown Design Review Committee
- City designated representative on board of directors of Downtown Vision, Inc. -the downtown business improvement
- Worked with elected officials and downtown business community.
- Responsible for over $50 million in new, private capital investment
- Responsible for the development of over 250 new downtown housing units
Jacksonville Economic Development Commission (JEDC) Jacksonville Downtown Development Authority Division Chief/Senior Project Manager/Project Manager - 1995 to 2002
Entry and mid-level management positions with City of Jacksonville assigned to several economic development roles in the City of Jacksonville. Responsibilities included supervising project and business development managers, working with business owners and developers on applications for economic incentive programs. During time with the agency directly responsible for the following projects/programs:
- Created Downtown Vision, Inc. - Jacksonville's downtown business improvement district,
- Created/Managed JEDC commercial façade renovation program,
- Project Manager - LaVilla District redevelopment program,
- Administrator - Historic Preservation Trust Fund
- Adopted Downtown Jacksonville Zoning Overlay Code
Pulte Home Corporation Construction Manager/Superintendent-Orlando Division - 1993 to 1995
Responsible for management of all on-site construction development, including but not limited to, scheduling, budgeting, customer orientations, and customer service calls. All work performed was for new housing projects in the Pulte Orlando Division. While working in the Orlando Division, worked at construction job sites located in Orange, Osceola, and Seminole counties and the development of over 100 single family homes.
Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL Master of Public Administration
University Of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
National Forum for Black Public Administrators
Executive Leadership Institute
The National Development Council
Certified Economic Development Finance Professional Certified Housing Development Finance Professional