Deputy Director Of Assisted Housing
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Salary Range: $56,485 - $98,455.20
Jacksonville Housing is seeking a Housing Choice Voucher Program Deputy (HCVP) Director to provide support to the HCVP Director in the overall management and leadership of all business related to the administration of nearly 7,900 vouchers within its program. The HCV Deputy Director will oversee the day to day administrative and operational management of all Housing programs, Family Self Sufficiency divisions, demonstrating consistent commitment to constant improvement, monitoring workflow to assure maximum productivity and making sound decisions on resource allocations. Section 3 candidates preferred. The ideal candidate must be able to do perform the following listed below and other related duties as necessary or needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure a high level of service and opportunities to low income families eligible for and participating in the Housing Choice Voucher Program in accordance with the mission and goals of the department.
- Assist in developing long and short-range goals and plan for the improvement of services and programs with respect to Assisted Housing, Development, and Resident Services.
- Plan, develop, direct and administer activities in accordance with federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations.
- Provide and exhibit innovative techniques in supervising, motivating and leading JHA staff in Assisted Housing, Development, and Resident Services.
- Plan, organize, evaluate and implement various housing initiatives to effectively provide and improve the housing of JHA customers eligible for, and participating in, the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- Advises the HCV Director on matters related to policy and procedures.
- Work with HCV Director to prepare operating budgets for submission to Finance.
- Sign contracts, orders, checks and other legal documents in the absence of the HCV Director.
- Participate in Board meetings and be able to attend meetings in the absence of the Director.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operational efficiency, decrease turnaround times, and streamline work processes to achieve high quality results and seamless customer service; work effectively and cooperatively with staff and the public to implement quality control procedures and quality improvement initiatives.
- Research PHA issues; compile data; prepare and analyze reports, records and accounts; make recommendations; and take action as authorized.
- Answer inquiries from a variety of internal and external sources.
- Research, monitor and analyze federal and state legislation to determine impact on programs and services and work with industry groups to insure changes are implemented smoothly.
- Review periodicals, legal documents and other materials to keep abreast of developments in public housing programs.
- Assist the HCV Director in ensuring JHA is fully compliant with Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) rules, regulations and guidelines; strive to improve overall HUD performance rating by achieving and maintaining a high-performer HUD rating designation.
- Maintain good business and public relations with HUD at the federal, regional and local levels and with the various governmental agencies and other groups that may be helpful in furthering the successful operations and developments of the agency.
- Responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of designated information and insuring the HCV Director is abreast of operational challenges in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate regular and predictable attendance.
- Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to work with Excel, Word, Outlook and Yardi.
- Knowledge of HUD, and other federal, state, and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations related to the operation of a Housing (HUD) Agency.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of Urban Development and Housing management.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of community programs and organizations.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of personnel management and supervision.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of communication.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of budgeting and budget administration
- Knowledge of report preparation techniques.
- Knowledge of modern office equipment including copier, computer, calculator, fax, etc.
- Ability to interpret and understand community housing needs and problems.
- Ability to plan, organizes, and assigns work and special projects in order to meet organizational goals.
- Ability to develop and establish effective working relationships with employees, officials, and the public.
- Ability to compile compiling of data and preparation of reports.
- Ability to analyze reports and data, and formulate recommendations.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and multiple demands to accomplish tasks in accordance with established requirements.
- Ability to anticipate potential problems and needs in order to develop and initiate appropriate corrective action.
- Ability to use sound judgment to make and implement decisions in conjunction with HCV Director.
- Ability to establish priorities and deadlines to assure efficiency and meet expectations.
- Ability to effectively relate to and deal with public and private agencies and residents in order to accomplish organizational goals and complete projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with groups and individuals.
- Ability to effectively assist HCV Director in allocating resources including, financial and human resources, in order to achieve goals and objectives.
- Ability to promote cooperation between departments by offering suggestions and recommendations.
- Ability to evaluate performance of subordinates, correct deficiencies, and perform a broad range of supervisory responsibilities over others.
- Skill in communicating with people inside and outside of the organization and from a broad range of socio-economic backgrounds, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in analyzing data.
- Skill in developing policies and procedures designed to meet the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Skill in the preparation and presentation of ideas and information in formal and informal settings.
Physical Effort and Working Conditions
Work is principally sedentary. No special physical demands are required. The work involves normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment. The work area is usually adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
Minimum Qualifications (Education/Experience)
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Sociology, Criminal Justice, Political Science, Urban Studies, or closely related field and a minimum of five (5) years' experience in the Housing Choice Voucher, or public housing program. The candidate should have at least 3 years of supervisory/manager experience in managing at least 10 people on a regular basis. Candidate must be able to demonstrate a proven ability in motivating employees and promoting team work and accountability. A Master's degree is strongly preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be applied.
License and Certification
Have Designation or Certification in property management, Must be insurable by JH's insurance and possess a valid Florida Driver's License.