Housing Counselor - (2) Openings
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 1300 Broad Street N 32206
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Salary Range: $12.81 - $20.56
Conducts initial assessment of individuals interested in Section 8 housing, Project Based Housing, Moderate Rehab and other programs under the Jacksonville Housing. Conducts annual re-certifications in accordance with established procedures. Enters information in computer and processes all paperwork, which includes verifying income and other data in accordance with established procedures. Maintains files and records for all clients in each caseload. Receives information from residents, verifies documents, and makes interim adjustments based on the information submitted. Schedules appointments for annual re-examinations, generates appointment letters and conducts interviews. Takes appropriate actions based on information received.
Note: The probationary period is for six (6) months.
Essential Job Functions
- Conducts initial assessment, interim adjustments and re-examination reviews regarding program eligibility and takes appropriate actions in accordance with established procedures and HUD regulations eligibility and takes appropriate actions in accordance with established procedures and HUD regulations
- Interviews applicants to determine eligibility or continued eligibility for housing
- Obtains income and other required verification
- Conducts background screening, as needed
- Explains procedures for locating housing and provides listings showing available units
- Facilitates leasing of property
- Makes offers of housing to applicants in accordance with established procedures and regulations, or provides clients with listings when requested
- Conducts orientations or briefing sessions in order to familiarize clients with the different programs
- Generates weekly reports based on the caseload
- Performs rental subsidy calculations
- Orders inspections
- Engages in dialogue with Property Owners about the units
- Assist in the overall operation of departments
- Responds to oral and written inquiries and requests from clients
- Does assist clientele in any capacity needed within the department, as needed
- Schedules hearings and participates in hearings as needed
- Inputs information in computer and updates information periodically, as an interim change
- Prepares departmental correspondence in accordance with established procedures using the computer
- Attends all meetings as required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment
- Knowledge of HUD and organizational regulations, policies, and procedures
- Knowledge of Section 8 program requirements
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic, and vocabulary
- Knowledge of basic computer operations and data entry
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to read, understand, and apply the Code of Federal Regulations HUD and organizational rules, policies, procedures, and instructions
- Ability to operate basic office equipment including a computer, fax machine, telephone, copy machine, etc.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, residents, and other employees
- Ability to interact with the public, businesses, and other organizations in obtaining and providing information in a polite and efficient manner, both in person, and on the telephone
- Ability to use sound judgment in order to make decisions in accordance with established procedures and guidelines
- Skill in communicating orally with others, particularly potential residents and residents, in order to explain the lease, payments, deposits, and answer questions
- Skill in dealing with people in a polite and diplomatic manner
Bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, sociology, psychology, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience involving dealing with the public, using a computer, or in public housing preferred.
Other: Valid Driving License
Physical Effort and Working Conditions
Work is principally sedentary. No special physical demands are required. The work involves normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment. The work area is usually adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. All incumbents may not perform the entire job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.