The Section 8 Program allows low-income families the opportunity to rent safe, decent and sanitary privately owned dwelling units. Subsidy payments are made by Jacksonville Housing (JH) to the owners on behalf of the family rather than directly to the family.
The program was created by the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974 and is funded by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
How the Program Works
Because there are more families who need voucher program assistance than there are vouchers available, HCVP uses a waiting list to administer the program to eligible families. When a voucher becomes available, the next family at the top of the waiting list is contacted and screened for program eligibility. Eligible families who meet the income guidelines are issued vouchers, which entitle them to have a portion of their rent subsidized.
There are six steps to participation in the program. They are as follows:
- Participant Briefing and Issuance of Voucher
- Due to Covid-19, we are unable to conduct oral briefings, therefore in order to meet this requirement, you must request a Briefing Package, then read and sign each document. Incomplete documents will result in delay. Please return these documents via e-mail or the mail bin located next to the front door of the building at 1300 N. Broad Street Jacksonville, Florida 32202.
- Voucher Holder Searches for Housing
- Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection Performed on Property Selected
- Rent Reasonableness Determination
- Execution of Lease and HAP Contract
- Rent & Housing Assistance Payments Begin
Under the program, both families and Property Owners have requirements and responsibilities.
Voucher Holder requirements include:
- Comply with HCV program rules
- Comply with the terms of their lease with the Property Owner
- Permit housing inspections
- Report changes in income and household composition
- Maintain good condition of the unit throughout the terms of the lease
Property Owner responsibilities include:
- Screen all applicants for suitability as tenants
- Collect the tenant's portion of the rent
- Comply with landlord-tenant and fair housing laws
- Comply with the terms of their lease with the tenant
- Comply with the terms of their contract with JH
- Permit inspections
- Make timely repairs to keep the property in good condition