FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Salary Range: $15.56
Conducts initial assessment of individuals interested in Section 8 housing, Project Based Housing, Moderate Rehab and other programs under the Jacksonville Housing. Conducts annual re-certifications in accordance with established procedures. Enters information in computer and processes all paperwork, which includes verifying income and other data in accordance with established procedures. Maintains files and records for all clients in each caseload. Receives information from residents, verifies documents, and makes interim adjustments based on the information submitted. Schedules appointments for annual re-examinations, generates appointment letters and conducts interviews. Takes appropriate actions based on information received.
Essential Job Functions
- Conducts initial assessment, interim adjustments and re-examination reviews regarding program eligibility and takes appropriate actions in accordance with established procedures and HUD regulations.
- Interviews applicants to determine eligibility or continued eligibility for housing
- Obtains income and other required verification
- Conducts background screening, as needed
- Explains procedures for locating housing and provides listings showing available units
- Facilitates leasing of property
- Makes offers of housing to applicants in accordance with established procedures and regulations, or provides clients with listings when requested
- Conducts orientations or briefing sessions in order to familiarize clients with the different programs
- Generates weekly reports based on the caseload
- Performs rental subsidy calculations
- Orders inspections
- Engages in dialogue with Property Owners about the units
- Assist in the overall operation of departments
- Responds to oral and written inquiries and requests from clients
- Does assist clientele in any capacity needed within the department, as needed
- Schedules hearings and participates in hearings as needed
- Inputs information in computer and updates information periodically, as an interim change
- Prepares departmental correspondence in accordance with established procedures using the computer
- Attends all meetings as required
Bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, sociology, psychology, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience involving dealing with the public, using a computer, or in public housing preferred.
Work is principally sedentary. No special physical demands are required. The work involves normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment. The work area is usually adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
Other: Must be insurable by JHA's insurance and possess a valid Florida Driver's License
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of social work and employment counseling
- Knowledge of HUD and organizational regulations, policies, and procedures
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic, and vocabulary
- Knowledge of basic office equipment including a computer, fax machine, telephone, copy machine, etc.
- Knowledge of commonly used computer software
- Knowledge of the principles of communication
- Knowledge of computer operation, hardware, and software
- Ability to counsel with low-income clients regarding employment and goals
- Ability to read, understand, and apply HUD and organizational rules, policies, procedures, and instructions
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to instruct individuals on the operation of computers and basic office equipment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the residents, businesses, and other organizations
- Ability to interact with clients, businesses and educational institutions in obtaining and providing information in a polite and efficient manner, both in person, and on the telephone
- Ability to use sound judgment in order to make decisions in accordance with established procedures and guidelines
- Skilled in analyzing situations in order to identify problems and offer possible solutions
- Skill in communicating orally with clients, businesses and other organizations in order to obtain and provide information
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and work hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands monitors, and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; and recognizes working colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing; demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; and listens effectively. Demonstrates clear understanding of Jobs Plus Program and ability to highlight goals and benefits to residents.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; hold oneself personally responsible for one's own work; and does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; attends, supports, and participates in all team building exercises and events.
ADAPTABLE/FLEXIBLE SKILLS: Ability to work additional hours if required and work with pressing deadlines and is task oriented. Proactively seeks work assignments when current assignments are completed-takes initiative.
Position Reports to Section: 8 Operation Manager
Leadership Accountability: Yes
Supervisory Accountability: Yes
Organizational Accountability: Yes
Financial Accountability: No
Customer Accountability: Interfaces with customer internally and externally.
We anticipate hiring between the minimum and first quartile of the range, depending upon previous similar experience. Existing JHA employees may be eligible for above the first quartile but not above the top range.
We are an EOE & DFWP. Successful applicant will be required to pass a drug screening and criminal background. Section 3 candidates preferred.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. All incumbents may not perform the entire job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.