Jobs Plus Community Ambassador (Part-time)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 8711 Newton Road (Southwind Villa)
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: 15:00 Hourly
The Jobs Plus Community Ambassador, under the direction and supervision of the Jobs Plus Program Manager, is a grant funded, temporary part-time position that advocates for Jobs Plus team and assists in closing the gap among residents and Jobs Plus team. The Community Ambassador actively participates in promoting collective community action that leads to the creation of stronger communities. Encouraging community-building principles, participation in the Jobs Plus Program, job/career development, and developing and organizing relationships between community members, neighborhood stakeholders, employers, Jacksonville Housing Authority's Jobs Plus program are key to the success of the overall program.
The Jacksonville Housing Authority will employ Community Ambassadors to market and advertise the Jobs Plus Program to all residents. The ambassadors will be hired from housing authority's resident pool due to their familiarity with the community dynamics and issues that are common within the community. The main goal of the Community Ambassadors is to encourage residents to become involved in the Jobs Plus Program and in work. The Community Ambassador strengthens grant participation by connecting with the residents, distributing literature about the Jobs Plus Program and scheduling follow up appointments with residents (phone or in person) to discuss the program directly.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and promotes participation in community and supportive services, community planning and other Jacksonville Housing Authority (JHA) Jobs Plus related activities.
- Marketing or Outreach should include word of mouth, door to door, posting information, distributing fliers for community events and limited use of social media.
- Assist with Jobs Plus Programs, or Jacksonville Housing Authority Program surveys and assessments pertaining to training or employment.
- Works in collaboration with Jobs Plus steam and other Jacksonville Housing Authority components to create outreach and strategies to organize, attract residents and retain participation in the Jobs Plus Program.
- Participates in various training and attends mandatory meetings.
- Assists with program implementation for community and supportive services in assigned areas.
- Assists in the development and production of employment related events such as job fairs; coordinating and arranging to bring residents to job fairs sponsored by outside agencies.
- Prepare for future employment through skill enhancement and training; Coaches are to actively seek employment and/or advancement in employment after term.
- Work with resident council to organize informal and formal resident groups to communicate resident needs
- Conduct resident contacts for program follow-up at the discretion the Jobs Plus team
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Current resident in good standing.
- Active Jobs-Plus member.
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings as needed.
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
Education - Must be a JHA Public Housing resident currently Must be a resident in Good Standing. High school diploma is preferred or one year or experience of service to others. Must understand the role that culture plays in work relationships, operations, and dynamics
Other: Must be insurable by JH's insurance and possess a valid Florida Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic, and vocabulary
- Knowledge of basic office equipment, including computer, fax, telephone, copier, etc.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to interact with residents and agencies in obtaining and providing information in a polite and efficient manner, in person, telephonically and in writing
- Ability to use sound judgment to make decisions in accordance with established procedures and guidelines
- Skilled in communicating orally with residents and agencies to obtain and provide information
- Skilled in dealing with people in a polite and diplomatic manner
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to exhibit the following behavioral skills
Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values
Problem Solving - Works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to request for service and assistance; meets commitments.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions, demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork - Gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interest; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary, to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed
Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blame; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remain open to others' ideas and tries new things. and events.
Position Reports to: Jobs Plus Program Manager
Leadership Accountability: None
Supervisory Accountability: None
Organizational Accountability: None
Financial Accountability: None
Customer Accountability: Interfaces with customers internally and externally.