Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Salary Grade: $37,329.00 - $51,646.00
We anticipate hiring between the minimum and first quartile of the range, depending upon previous similar experience. Existing JHA employees may be eligible for above the first quartile but not above the top range.
We are looking for someone that is skilled in all aspects of the trades including carpentry, electrical, plumbing. The Maintenance Foreman will have previous management experience, ideally working in multi-family housing to supervise a maintenance crew assigned to JHA residential property(ies). Perform and oversee all types of maintenance. Maintains records and prepares reports in accordance with regulations. Assist property manager with move-out, move-in, and routine property inspections. Participates in the hiring process by interviewing candidates and making hiring recommendations.
Coordinate the work of a maintenance crew engaged in the maintenance and repair of assigned residential property while carrying out the duties and tasks necessary to maintain JHA Properties in a safe and decent condition, including preventative maintenance, implementing systems and procedures to assure efficient and economical services.
- Assign work orders in order to efficiently make repairs to housing units
- Prepare work orders in response to calls from residents, and maintain required records and reports related to site maintenance
- Review and complete work order forms Inspect grounds, work in progress, and completed work to assure that it complies with established standards
- Ensure that maintenance personnel are properly trained by monitoring progress of new hires, ensuring that employees receive training on new regulations and procedures
- Participate in the hiring process by assisting in interviewing applicants for employment and making hiring recommendations
- Assist with the performance appraisals for maintenance staff and participate in the discussion with employees
- Counsel employees regarding job performance and document in accordance with established procedures
- Recommend disciplinary action as needed
- Perform maintenance tasks and provide property manager with recommendations as needed
- Assist in the installation, maintenance, repair, or replacement of plumbing, electrical, and HVAC equipment and fixtures, as needed
- Participate in annual inspection of units to determine the need for preventive and restorative repairs
- Conduct regular inspections of units to determine needs for maintenance of any aspect of housing units, including major equipment
- Make recommendations for changes in policies and procedures in response to changing conditions, requirements, regulations, or technology
- Assist in preparations of maintenance budget for the site
- Inspect vacated apartments, complete make-ready list, and inform manager of status
- Perform a wide variety of electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and preventive maintenance tasks, as needed
- Regularly conduct inventory of equipment, tools, parts, and supply of materials
- Train new employees, as needed
Must be able to repeatedly lift and pull up to 50 lbs., bend, kneel, reach, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, talk, hear, see, use repetitive motions, climb ladders and other strenuous activities.
Essential Employer taking extra precautions with providing all necessary PPE to all essential employees.
General Duties and Responsibilities
Must be able to work in adverse Florida weather which includes extreme heat and humidity in the summer, cold in the winter. Much of the work will be done in environments that do not have air conditioning or heating. May be subject to fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, intense noise, extreme temperatures, and travel.
Associate Degree preferred in building science, engineering, management, or closely related field plus three years of building or apartment maintenance work that included two years of supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must have the ability to read, write and follow instructions in English. Must have had at least two years' experience in the repair and maintenance of buildings, plumbing, and/or mechanical or electrical equipment; carpentry, plastering/drywall, installation, painting and/or tile work. Satisfactory completion of a vocational/technical course in electrical or mechanical repair, welding, structural trades, or a related field may be substituted for one of the required years of experience.
EDUCATION - High School Diploma
Other: Must be insurable by JHA's insurance and possess a valid Florida Driver's License
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the basic principles of management and supervision
- Knowledge of HUD regulations regarding housing quality standards and other maintenance related standards
- Knowledge of the Jacksonville Housing Authority (JHA) policies and procedures
- Knowledge of the physical layout of the site properties
- Knowledge of building and grounds maintenance, including standard practices, methods, tools, and materials, of electrical, plumbing, HVAC, painting, carpentry, and grounds keeping
- Knowledge of safety rules, including accident causation and prevention
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions
- Ability to oversee maintenance program for a public housing site
- Ability to analyze information from inspections in order to determine the maintenance needs, and the quality of maintenance services provided
- Ability to develop plans, and procedures for efficient and timely completion of work
- Ability to maintain records in an orderly fashion
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, subordinates, co-workers, residents, contractors, and the general public
- Ability to prepare recommendations and reports, as required
- Ability to read, understand and work from sketches and blueprints
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and work hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands monitors, and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; and recognizes working colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing; demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; and listens effectively. Demonstrates clear understanding of Jobs Plus Program and ability to highlight goals and benefits to residents.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; hold oneself personally responsible for one's own work; and does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; attends, supports, and participates in all team building exercises and events.
Adaptable/Flexible Skills: Ability to work additional hours if required and work with pressing deadlines and is task oriented. Proactively seeks work assignments when current assignments are completed-takes initiative.
Position Reports to: Property Manager
Leadership Accountability: Yes
Supervisory Accountability: Yes
Organizational Accountability: None
Financial Accountability: Yes
Customer Accountability: Interfaces with customers internally and externally.
We are an EOE & DFWP. Successful applicant will be required to pass a drug screening and criminal background. Section 3 candidates preferred.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. All incumbents may not perform all the job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description