Operations Manager - Section 8
FLSA Status: Exempt
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: $41,217.00 - $55,404.00
We anticipate hiring between the minimum and first quartile of the range, depending upon previous similar experience. Existing JHA employees may be eligible for above the first quartile but not above the top range.
Under the direct supervision of the HCV Program Manager, the Operations Manager (Section 8), supervises the Section 8 Housing Counselors, Aides and Clerks. Responsible for ensuring compliance with SEMAP Indicators. He / She must perform Quality Control Audits on files for internal compliance. As an Operations Manager, it is their responsibility to make sure that departments meet current local, state, and federal regulations that pertain to housing and must train staff accordingly. Must develop and update departmental procedures as needed. Reviews HUD regulations and implements procedural changes as needed. Must assist the Program Manager of Section 8 with special projects when and where necessary while achieving excellent customer service. Must actively engage in all aspects of hiring personnel for the departments. Requires the ability to render strong unbiased decision-making skills which impact the Section 8 Department.
Promotes and provides excellent customer service while maintaining compliance. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising a clerk, aide and a team of Housing Counselors engaged in conducting initial assessments of individuals interested in Section 8 housing and conducting annual re-examinations to determine continued eligibility.
- Reviewing a sample of subordinates' work for quality assurance purposes. Resolving problems between property owners and clients.
- Reviewing hearing files and files proposed to be referred to the fraud unit.
- Overseeing assistance of families scheduled to move in or relocate to suitable housing and ensuring coordination of the moving process by validating the process is in compliance with applicable laws and procedures.
- Reviewing HUD regulations and implementing changes as needed. Resolving damage and vacancy claims and generating reports. Participating in pre-employment selection, staff training, and disciplinary action.
- Resolving problems and issues with clients and landlords as it pertains to the rental assistance programs.
- Maintaining effective relationships with staff, landlords, participants, community agency personnel and the general public as it pertains to the HCV programs.
- Ability to act as a stand-in and perform all tasks as it relates to all programs i.e., intake, annual re-certifications, interim income adjustments, move-ins, inspections, etc.
- Assisting in determining staff training needs and conduct in-house training of staff.
- Possessing proficient computer, oral and written communication skills.
- Assisting in determining staff training needs and conduct in-house training of staff.
Work is principally sedentary. No special physical demands are required. The work involves normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment. The work area is usually adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
Must be able to sit in an office environment, walk upstairs to meet with clientele, and able to lift up to 15 lbs.
Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Sociology, Psychology, or related field, plus 5 years of experience in Public Housing and Section 8 as a Housing Counselor or related field experience, including 2 years of supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to interpret and apply regulations, understand legal documents and forms. Experience dealing with the public, defusing, or resolving difficult situations and/or disputes, etc. Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with others; particularly clients and landlords in order to explain responsibilities, resolve difficult situations, and/or dispute, and answer questions.
Must possess good written and oral communication skills; have proficient computer skills; and a working knowledge of HUD and other Federal, State, and local regulations related to subsidized housing management.
Other: Must be insurable by JHA's insurance and possess a valid Florida Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and application of Federal Regulations as it pertains to the programs.
- Knowledge and application of the Florida Landlord and Tenant Act.
- Working knowledge of the principles of real estate management; working knowledge of finance and accounts as related to real estate management.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others.
- Broad awareness of current trends in management consulting, organizational development and administration of public and private for-profit organizations.
- Ability to apply this knowledge to the management of affordable housing programs and projects.
- Keep accurate and detailed records.
- Meet project deadlines and work effectively in pressure situations.
- Supervise the work of others.
- Interpret, explain, and apply applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Proficiency in the following programs: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Function in a matrix-style organization with a strong teamwork culture and willingness to act positively to sustain that culture.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with elected and appointed officials; agency employees; residents of public housing and resident organizations; federal and state agencies; and other public, private, and community-based organizations with patience, diplomacy, tact, and courtesy.
- Sensitivity to, and experience with, working with ethnically and culturally diverse individuals, communities, agencies, and organizations which comprise the constituency of JHA.
- Ability to handle shifting and multiple priorities in a fast-paced growth environment.
- Ability to establish effective working relationship with private landlords, real estate and property management companies, subordinates and general public.
- Ability to maintain security and confidentiality.
- Strong organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Be a bold, progressive, and customer-focused leader with excellent communication (oral & written) and interpersonal skills.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands monitors, and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; and recognizes working colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing; demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; and listens effectively.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; hold oneself personally responsible for one's own work; and does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; attends, supports, and participates in all team building exercises and events.
Adaptable/Flexible Skills: Ability to work additional hours if required and work with pressing deadlines and is task oriented. Proactively seeks work assignments when current assignments are completed-takes initiative.
Ethics: Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
Problem Solving: Works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Oral Communication: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions, demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, not blame; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Organizational Support: Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
Judgement: Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
Attendance/Punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Initiative: Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offer help when needed.
Position Reports to: Program Manager of HCV
Leadership Accountability: Yes
Supervisory Accountability: Yes
Organizational Accountability: Yes
Financial Accountability: Yes
Customer Accountability: Interfaces with customers internally and externally.
We are an EOE & DFWP. Successful applicant will be required to pass a drug screening and criminal background. Section 3 candidates preferred.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. All incumbents may not perform all the job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.