SAFMR Voucher Instructions
For a formatted, printable version of SAFMR Voucher Instructions (all of which is included below)
Small Area Fair Market Rents (SAFMR) The following is a step‐by‐step guide for Landlords/Property Managers participating in the Section 8 program.
- Beginning April 1, 2018, the JH will issue vouchers
using the SAFMR payment standards to new
participants and current participants wishing to move.
*The Payment Standards will be based on the Zip Code the participant wishes to reside.
- The only change with the SAFMR program will be a
new voucher sheet with approved "Rent to Look for"
amounts by zip code.
Participant is Issued a Voucher
- If the participant is new to the Section 8
program or is a current voucher holder and
wishes to relocate, he/she will be issued a
- Beginning April 1, 2018, the voucher sheet
that the voucher holder will present to the
landlord will have zip codes listed and the max
rent to look for listed in the next column.
SAFMR Voucher Sheet
The SAFMR Voucher Sheet will include:
- Name of Participant (Head of Household)
- Number of bedrooms for which Participant is
eligible. (Note: As the voucher formula has changed,
Max Rent is the same for all bedroom sizes listed)
- Estimated Family Rent Responsibility
- List of all zip codes with the Maximum Contract
Rent the tenant can look for.
- Signature and date line for Participant
Finding the Rent for your Unit
When the Landlord reviews the Voucher Sheet:
- Look at the eligible bedroom size (B) to confirm Participant
qualifies for your unit. Confirm the voucher is still active
and has not expired.
- Find the zip code (D) for your unit. To the right of the zip
code is the Max Contract rent the Participant can pay.
- If the unit rent is equal to or less than the Max Contract
Rent for the zip code, complete the remaining Voucher
package & give to the Participant, or return to JH.
For more information on the SAFMR Program, visit the following links: