Assistant Property Manager
The Jacksonville Housing Authority is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy and the intent of the Jacksonville Housing Authority to provide equality of opportunity in employment for all persons, and in all aspects of its personnel policies, programs, practices, operations, and in all its working conditions and relationships with employees and applicants for employment. Recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, retention, and disciplinary decisions will be made without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other protected class status applicable under local, State of Florida or federal law.
Job Title: Assistant Property Manager
FLSA Classification: Exempt
EEO Classification: Professional
Salary/Pay Grade: $42,231.70-$47,923.20
Reports to: Director Property Management
The Jacksonville Housing Authority is seeking an Assistant Property Manager to manage the day-to day operation of assigned property in accordance with established regulations and guidelines. Rent properties, collect and record rent and other charges, and process evictions. Receive requests for repairs, generate and close work orders. Assist and encourage residents to become self-sufficient by referring to programs directed toward self-sufficiency. Conduct inspections to ensure compliance with all applicable rules and regulations, and to assure that all equipment is in proper working order and that vacant apartments are ready for occupancy.
Essential Job Functions
A. Prepare, maintain, and update financial and other records, including collections of rent and other charges and budget
- Collect rent and other charges from residents and enter corresponding data into the computer system:
- Process requests for rend adjustments in accordance with established procedures, including obtaining verifications, entering information into the computer, etc.;
- Post charges associated with the work order, late charges, etc. by entering them in the computer and generating notices for residents;
- Follow-up delinquent accounts and pursue collections in accordance with established procedures;
- Monitor expenses to ensure spending is within guidelines; and
- Maintain tenant files and related documentation regarding continuing eligibility and adjustments.
B. Maintain required occupancy level of leasing property in a timely manner, making appropriate adjustments, addressing resident concerns in a professional manner, enforcing property rules, lease requirements, and maintaining associated records
- Communication with residents as needed to inform of policies, procedures, rules and regulations;
- Lease units by showing the property, reviewing and signing lease, collecting deposits, etc.;
- Establish and maintain a waiting list of applicants;
- Assist in coordinating the vacancy preparation in order to minimize time units are vacant;
- Generate work orders in response to requests for repairs from residents, and close out work orders in accordance with established procedures;
- Conduct property inspections, including move-in, move-out, housekeeping, and grounds in order to assure adherence to established standards; and
- Maintain records of the status of assigned units, e.g., filled, vacant, anticipated vacancy, etc.
C. Assist residents with special problems and promote amicable tenant relations
- Counsel resident who is not complying with the terms of the lease, and concerning delinquent payments;
- Refer residents with special problems, such as economic, social, legal, health, etc. to groups or agencies that provide assistance, or to resident initiatives coordinator, as appropriate;
- Maintain liaison with resident services to assist with resident activities, address specific problems, plan meetings, or support activities as appropriate;
- Resolve conflict and complaints among residents, if possible, in order to avoid grievances;
- Recommend eviction if resident behavior warrants, and prepare related documentation to support the recommendation; and
- Participate in hearings and appeals, as needed.
D. The ideal candidate will assist in managing the community according to prescribed policies and procedures, under the supervision of the Property Manager assists in all operational and financial aspects of the property or properties
- Processes and monitors work orders;
- Processes and submits invoices for payment;
- Rent collection, receipting, prepares deposits using property management software;
- Submits required reports and maintains records according to company policy;
- Responsible for in-house monthly file audits;
- Responsible for apartment inspections for move-in/move-out conditions (pre/post inspections) and the successful completion of the process within 24 hours of the action;
- Organizes and files all relevant reports, leases, and paperwork;
- Accepts service requests from residents and routes to maintenance for prompt processing;
- Ensure the completion of all recertification paperwork within its required deadline;
- Ensures property's filing system is maintained daily, including applicant/resident, accounting, vendor, and contract files;
- Maintains a positive customer relation, attitude;
- Physically inspects units and community; and
- Secure lease renewals and recertification each month.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in management, business administration, social science area, or closely related field, one (1) year of experience in property management, marketing, sales or customer service, and working knowledge of Microsoft Office required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. One (1) to (3) years' experience in property management, and knowledge of state and local landlord/tenant laws and HUD regulations preferred. Must obtain certification as a Public Housing Manager, or equivalent, within twelve (12) months of employment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Authority policies and procedures, particularly as they pertain to property management.
- Knowledge of Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) rules and regulations that apply to property management.
- Knowledge of laws and standards that apply to property management, such as Fair Housing Laws, OSHA Standards, local and state building codes.
- Knowledge of basic building maintenance and fire prevention, liability reduction principles.
- Knowledge of basic office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Knowledge of the operation of authority computer system and software.
- Knowledge of the agencies that provide assistance and services to residents, including some knowledge of eligibility requirements.
- Knowledge of mathematics sufficient to perform calculations required for summarizing rent collections, making deposits, and for rent adjustments.
- Ability to maintain required records such as tenant files, vacancy reports, etc.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise reports and make appropriate recommendations within scope of responsibility.
Industry - Knowledge of HUD and other federal, state, and local policies, procedures and regulations related to the operation of a public housing agency.
Management Skills - Builds good working relationships at all levels within the agency. Prioritizes tasks effectively for self and assigned team. Understands the needs of different stakeholders and communicates with them as deemed appropriate. Brings people together to solve problems. Cultivates relationships with employees, residents, vendor and community partners. Develops and implements new ideas.
Computer Skills - Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially spreadsheets, databases and reporting tools. Proficient in the use of electronic management systems.
Communications Skills - Effective interpersonal and customer service skills. Excellent written and oral communication skills: you thrive when working with employees and residents.
Analytical Skills - Ability to compare, contrast and quality check work with keen attention to detail. Able to present numerical data orally and in writing, including through graphics. Ability to apply creative thinking and problem-solving in the execution of one's duties. Ability to analyze reports and data to formulate recommendations.
Organizational Skills - Ability to manage multiple competing priorities while maintaining effectiveness. Strong organizational skills, time management skills, attention to detail, and an appropriate sense of urgency are necessary.
Adaptable/Flexible Skills - Ability to work additional hours, if required, and work with pressing deadlines and being task oriented. Proactively seeks work assignments when current assignments have been completed-takes initiative- and is challenged by full workloads. Willingness and flexibility to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while handling a variety of responsibilities is essential.
Work is principally sedentary. No special physical demands are required. The work involves normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment. The work area is usually adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated. Must be able to sit in an office environment, able to lift up to 15 lbs.
Must possess a valid driver's license and be insurable by Jacksonville Housing.
|Position Reports to||Director of Property Management|
|Customer Accountability||Interfaces with customers internally and externally|
We anticipate hiring at the minimum of the respective pay grade per contractual obligations.
We are an EOE & DFWP. A successful applicant will be required to pass a background check including but not limited to, employment history, criminal record and driving record, and may be subject to a pre-employment drug screening.
Section 3 and Veteran candidates preferred.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. All incumbents may not perform all the job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.