FSS Service Coordinator
Employment Application - Apply Online
The Jacksonville Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer/affirmative action employer. It is the policy and the intent of the Jacksonville Housing Authority to provide equality of opportunity in employment for all persons, and in all aspects of its personnel policies, programs, practices, operations, and in all its working conditions and relationships with employees and applicants for employment. Recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, retention, and disciplinary decisions will be made without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other protected class status applicable under state or federal law.
Job Title: FSS Service Coordinator (Grant Position)
FLSA Classification: Exempt
EEO Classification: Professional
Salary/Pay Grade: $35,568.00 - $47,147.40
Reports to: FSS Service Coordinator Supervisor
Plan, implement, direct, and evaluate the Family Self-Sufficiency Program in accordance with HUD and JHA regulations and guidelines. Exercise sounds judgement in recruiting, interviewing, and screening prospective program participants. Develop measurable action plans; and provide counseling and guidance for Housing Choice Voucher clients to assist in reaching self-sufficiency goals.
Essential Job Functions
1. Qualify residents for participation in the program, establish goals, identify needs and coordinate services.
- Interview prospective participants for the program and determine eligibility based on program guidelines.
- Identify needs and barriers to the achievement of self-sufficiency/aging in place in the areas of education, job training, childcare, transportation, credit repair, substance abuse, counseling, etc.
- Administer an efficient intake process to include interviewing prospective participants to determine eligibility based on guidelines; and completing applications, program, and HUD forms accurately.
- Assess service needs of program participants, and through goal setting, referrals and monitoring; assist participants in accessing appropriate public or private community agencies to obtain specialized types of assistance in the areas of health care, childcare, chemical dependency, mental health, legal issues, domestic violence, budgeting, food insecurity, utilities assistance, and transportation, etc.
- Participate in ongoing financial literacy, family-centered coaching, housing, and other FSS related education to enhance knowledge and skills related to successful case management and financial coaching. Research and develop ongoing community resources relevant to low-income people working on economic goals.
- Maintain all case files following confidentiality guidelines.
- Review case records and meet with participants regularly to update and monitor client needs, assess progress toward achieving goals, and make referrals, as necessary.
- Monitor and balance participant escrow savings accounts.
- Ensure compliance with participant annual re-certification, process interim withdrawal requests, adjustments, terminations and graduations according to HUD guidelines and program policies.
- Maintain data regarding FSS services and accomplishments and prepare reports summarizing these service data for use by JHA, HUD, and the community of providers assisting with the delivery of services.
- Recruit participants and market the FSS program through various avenues such as oral presentations and written marketing materials.
- Assist with the development and implementation of FSS curriculum, programming, activities, networking and graduation events, etc.
- Develop individual service plans with participants and assist in coordinating services with other agencies.
- Network with groups/agencies to identify resources.
- Coordinate workshops on a variety of topics by arranging for leaders, informing participants, arranging for space, etc.
2. Meets with participants regularly to assess progress toward achieving goals, determine if additional barriers exist, provide additional services as needed, and maintain related records
- Meet monthly with participants to counsel them on areas of education, employment, credit and family needs, to identify needs and barriers to self-sufficiency and provide individualized counseling, family counseling, budget and money management sessions, career counseling, and other services.
- Refer clients to agencies for needed services.
- Monitor and evaluate participant progress, prepare progress reports, obtain transcripts, employment data and family composition changes.
- Promote JHA education programs such as Incentive Awards, Hicks, etc.
- Provide basic job retention and career counseling
- Maintain appropriate files and case notes.
- Complete monthly statistics report, including services provided, number of participants in workshops, training, etc.
Education and Experience
An associate degree in Public Administration, Sociology, or related field in social sciences, education, business administration, or closely related field, plus two (2) years of work experience in human services, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, systems, and equipment including computers and software.
- Knowledge of HUD and organizational policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of business grammar, spelling, arithmetic, and departmental terminology.
- Ability to set priorities, plan and implement activities to maximize efficiency.
- Ability to provide information in a courteous diplomatic manner.
- Ability to use a computer to store, retrieve and compile data, prepare reports and correspondence.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment such as computer, calculator, copy machine, fax machine, telephone system, etc.
- Ability to maintain a variety of files and records, and to answer questions from the records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officials, other employees, residents, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in the use of computer software to facilitate efficient completion of tasks and obtaining information.
- Skill in planning and organizing meetings.
- Skill in dealing with people in a diplomatic manner.
- RMC Functions and Tenant Funding.
- General knowledge of social service programs.
- Ability to research and provide viable community resources for resident assistance.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and work hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands monitors, and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; and recognizes working colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys the necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing; demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; and listens effectively. Demonstrates clear understanding of the NNC Program and ability to highlight the goals and benefits to residents.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; hold oneself personally responsible for one's own work; and does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; attends, supports, and participates in all team building exercises and events.
Adaptable/Flexible Skills: Ability to work additional hours if required and work with pressing deadlines and is task oriented. Proactively seeks work assignments when current assignments are completed-takes initiative.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position. Daily movements include sitting; standing; operating computers and other office equipment; moving about the office; attending onsite and offsite meetings. The employee must be able to communicate via email and verbally via telephone. The employee must occasionally lift up to fifteen (15) pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work is primarily conducted in an office environment, with interaction with external/internal clients.
Other: Must possess a valid driver's license and be insurable by Jacksonville Housing.
|Position Reports To||FSS Service Coordinator Supervisor|
|Customer Accountability||Interfaces with customers internally & externally|
We anticipate hiring at the minimum of the respective pay grade per contractual obligations.
We are an EOE & DFWP. A successful applicant will be required to pass a background check including but not limited to employment history, criminal record and driving record, and may be subject to a pre-employment drug screening.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. All incumbents may not perform all the job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.